What is Computer Network?
Computer Network is a system in which two or more computers are interconnected with each other that uses the same network for sharing their various files and other resources. You can create a Computer Network wirelessly or with cable (LAN Cable, Ethernet Cable, etc). Every Computer network consists of required hardware and software that connect the computer to a network.
A Network can be connected by using physical wires, fiber optics, copper wire, etc, and can be connected wirelessly also. The traffic monitoring systems in big cities are an example of a broad computer network. In addition, these network systems provide information on traffic flow and incidents to officials of the department and emergency personnel. Another example of a Computer Network is sharing documents with coworkers who work remotely using cloud software like Google Drive, Mega, etc. In this article, we will know more about different types of Computer Networks.
A computer network is in use whenever we connect with someone on a video call or stream or share files, chat with messages, or just access anything on the internet, Network is always in use while doing anything online. Equally important, The area of computer science known as computer networking is concerned with the conception, construction, development, upkeep, and security of computer networks. It combines telecommunications, computer networking, and computer science.
A computer network can exchange data and share resources or files with each other. The network enables the computer to communicate a computer with another computer. Any Electronic device connected which each other then it means a Computer network is used. It can be in any form like file sharing, communication, messaging, etc.
Different Types of Computer Networks
There are four different types of Computer Networks are:
- Personal Area Network (PAN)
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
Let’s explain all of these Computer Networks in detail.
Personal Area Network (PAN)
Personal Area Network is a Network that is in the range of a person. It is used to connect devices within 10 meters of range. It is usually used in Smartphones for sharing data through WiFi hotspots. Personal Area Network is used for communicating on Personal devices with the Internet.
A Personal Area Network includes Computers, phones, tablets, printers, Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), and other entertainment equipment like a speaker which connects through Bluetooth which is also a form of Computer Network. Gaming Consoles are frequently included in Personal Area Networks. Personal Area Network works in a very short range within 33 feet (approx. 10 m). It has great performance in terms of flexibility and efficiency making it particularly helpful in our homes, offices, and small network regions.
Advantages of Personal Area Network
- PAN networks are very secure and safe.
- There is no need to connect wires in this Network.
- It offers a range of up to 10 meters.
Disadvantages of Personal Area Network
- PAN has low network coverage.
- Some devices are not compatible with each other.
Local Area Network (LAN)
A local Area Network is a group of many computers connected wire or wirelessly with the same network. It covers a small geographical area like within a School, building, office, home, etc. This network is wisely used to share files and other applications through a LAN network. Computer networks are used to share files and applications from LAN.
It is the simplest way to connect computers with a small range. This Network can handle up to 5000 interconnected devices.
Advantages of Local Area Network
- Local Area Networks can be shared by Computer Peripherals like Hard-disks, DVD-ROM, Printers, etc.
- You can share the same software and use it over the network instead of purchasing it.
- All the Computers can access data through the network to store it on a single hard disk of the server computer.
- You can easily send messages and other data with the help of third-party software.
- It makes data more secure.
Disadvantages of Local Area Network
- Unauthorized users cannot access any data from the Computer.
- Local Area Network saves costs by sharing computer resources.
- LAN requires a Local Area Network administration.
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
MAN is that type of network which connects computers within a Metropolitan area such as a single large city, multiple cities, or towns. It connects a large number of Local area networks and makes Metropolitan Area Network. MAN is larger than the Local Area Network (LAN) but smaller than Wide Area Network (WAN). It is used by large offices for sharing resources through the network within a large building or in a city. It is capable of sharing data within 50 kilometers range.
Advantages of Metropolitan Area Network
- Metropolitan Area Network has high bandwidth.
- The transmission speed is very fast up to 100 Gbps.
- It is very secure as compared to Wide Area Network.
- It is wider than LAN.
- It requires few resources which reduces the handling cost of this network.
Disadvantages of Metropolitan Area Network
- It is difficult to manage.
- It is more costly than the LAN.
- It’s difficult to manage once it becomes large.
- MAN connection requires more cables from one place to another.
Wide Area Network (WAN)
A wide Area Network is another type of Computer Network that connect data centers, cloud applications, offices, and cloud storage together. Basically, it connects a group of Computers with each other over a large distance. It covers a large geographical area. WAN is very useful for international businesses because it is essential for everyday use as the internet is considered the largest Wide Area Network in the world.
Advantages of Wide Area Network
- Wide Area Network boosts the privacy of the user.
- It covers a large Geographic region.
- It has increased network efficiency.
- It is very easy to communicate.
- It shares information over a large area.
Disadvantages of Wide Area Network
- WAN is slow in speed.
- It’s very costly every time we have to pay for transferring data.
- It is very difficult to maintain as compared to PAN and LAN.
These are the four main types of Computer Networks and their types. I hope you like reading this content. Please share your valuable opinions in the comment box. Please Visit again ~solvingdad.com
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 4 types of Networks?
The 4 types of Networks are Personal Area Networks (PAN), Local Area Networks (LAN), Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN), and Wide Area Networks (WAN).
What are the two main types of Computer Networks?
Local Area Networks and Wide Area Networks are the two main types of Computer Networks and the most used Computer Networks also.
What is Firewall in Networking?
A Firewall is Network Security System in a Computer that filters incoming and outgoing network traffic.
What is Network Server?
A network server is a computer system that maintains and makes available to other computers on a network shared resources like files and applications.
These are four types of Computer networks that you use in your daily life. I hope now you have a better understanding of all types of Computer Networks. PAN has the lowest range and WAN has the longest range. If you like reading these types of Valuable Content, please leave a beautiful comment below.
Thanks for Visiting our Website Solving Dad!